Saturday 16 July 2016

Being relatable versus being aspirational


Lately I've been wondering about where blogging is headed... when it all started out, the whole 'bedroom blogger' really was the main appeal. I mean in that blogs were far more raw and unedited than traditional media like magazines. I remember that the first blog I ever read was Zoella, and I remember reading about her hauls and dreaming of owning my own MAC lipstick. Um, times have changed.

The thing that I really enjoy about blogging though is how you can have more of a connection to the people behind them - with snapchat, Instagram, twitter... you can really feel like you know the person, which you never get with a magazine. With the bigger bloggers though, there is also that element of aloofness in the sense that they are internet celebrities in their own right, and everyone wants a piece. With the fame and success that comes with having a well-known blog, it's inevitable that things will shift - when you have to pay the bills with your content, then it's never going to be as organic as when

When it comes to my blog - I am by no means a big blogger. I don't blog full time, and I fit my hobby around my life. Does that mean I'm more relatable? I'm just a normal twenty-something with too many lipsticks - I don't buy designer handbags every week, and I don't go on holiday to 5* getaways every month. Lord knows I would if I could though! Trying to make my content glossier, slicker and have my photos more stylised - does that compromise my blogging integrity? I would blog full time if I had the opportunity, but if that did happen would I lose any chance I have of being a relatable person? Is the key to being successful mean that you have to shed away your unprofessional self? I can't really thing of any 'big' bloggers who haven't evolved over time (not that evolution is a bad thing, if you know what I mean!), but commercial partnerships rarely seem to produce the same quality in regards to heartfelt content. I just don't know! 

What do you think? Does a blog need to be more glossy to get noticed, or are things coming full circle?

Follow

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig